October 25, 2014

DARKENING DANGER: THE BEGINNING




Miami, Florida
Michael Levine


My eyes open in the void of darkness surrounding me. My naked skin beaded with moisture chills to the bone. The perfect darkness elicits no sound except my own heartbeat and heavy breathing, no smells, and except for the company of my own fear, I am alone. From the darkness comes a light that separates' and splits into innumerable floating squares. I am watching as they begin to move and oscillate around me, faster and faster… Reaching out to catch one, my hand is passing through its center and I see each transparent slip of light is actually a formula or equation. All of the answers sought by scientists and mathematicians are within my reach, but I can't grasp one of them! What does this mean and why is it so damn familiar?

So many numbers are passing by me I can't even focus on one group. Out of the oblivion comes a backdrop to the equation, photographic flashes of famine and devastation have me struggling not to close my eyes. The gray and white images of the sunken eyed people are frightening. Compounding my fears are the visions of the gruesome dry deserted terrain scattered with animal skeletons. Out of a squint, I look to see man's greatest fear…Oh God, is it the past or the future? I can't be sure. It reminds me of photos shot by Rothstein or Lange of the economic disaster during WWII and the great western droughts. Somehow a part of me knows this is the foreboding future mankind will face in the wake of the sun's hiatus.

Sickened, giving into the pain, I double over. Opening my eyes, I recognize the more familiar darkened surroundings of my bedroom in Miami. I stumble out of bed in an awkward race to open the blackout drapes covering the French doors. In a state of madness, I pull them back and breathe a sigh of relief at the sight of the fiery ball rising above the blue waters of the Atlantic Ocean. I swing open the doors, walk out onto the veranda, and soak in the heat of the rays...

Darkening Danger Now on Amazon Kindle!

1 comment:

  1. Nice excerpt, Sammy! Congrats on a new book. Will tweet for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.
Sammy Sutton